The report “Antimicrobial Plastics Market by Additive (Inorganic, Organic), Type (Commodity Plastics, Engineering Plastics, High Performance Plastics), Application (Packaging, Automotive, Medical & Healthcare, Consumer Goods), & Region – Global Forecast to 2028”, size was USD 41.7 billion in 2022 and is projected to reach USD 64.8 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 7.7%, between 2023 and 2028.
Some of the prominent key players are:
· DuPont De Nemours, Inc. (US)
· BASF SE (Germany)
· Microban International (US)
· Sanitized AG (Germany)
· Biocote Limited (UK)
· Avient Corporation (US)
· King Plastic Corporation (US).
· In April 2020, Cummins Inc. and DuPont Company partnered to supply an antimicrobial additive for N95 respiratory masks. They combined Cummins’s NanoNet & NanoForce Technology with DuPont’s Hybrid Membrane Technology to make the material.
· In April 2021, Microban International partnered with Continental Accessory and launched the first collection of office and school supplies. These supplies, like notebooks, pencil pouches, and portfolio covers, have antimicrobial properties.
· In November 2021, Microban International partnered with Sunbeam Products, Inc. to manufacture antimicrobial knife handles to make the handles hygienic and bacteria-free.
· In August 2021, Microban International partnered with Verbatim to manufacture USB drives with antimicrobial protection to keep devices safe from bacterial growth.
Driver: Growing awareness pertaining to antimicrobial plastics
According to Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) the National Health Expenditures (NHE) and Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of US are projected to grow 5.1% annually up to 2030. However, the NHE patterns are pointedly influenced by the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition, even with social distancing, facemasks, and strict hygiene measures, it is nearly impossible to keep every surface sanitized. Hence, there is a need for self-cleansing property to neutralize the surface from contaminant pathogens and reduce the risk of possible spread. Hence, the awareness of antimicrobial plastics has increased, so there is a strong demand for antimicrobial plastics in various applications.
Based on application, medical & healthcare was the largest segment for antimicrobial plastics market, in terms of value, in 2022.
The medical & healthcare segment led the antimicrobial plastics market due to the rising spread of life-threatening diseases such as H1N1, nosocomial infections, COVID-19, and other health-related issues. Innovation in the healthcare industry, for instance, the development of non-toxic plastic equipment, is anticipated to fuel the antimicrobial plastics market. Antimicrobial plastics are used in surgical and medical devices including catheters, cubicle curtains, beds, and dental implants.
Asia Pacific accounted for the largest market share for antimicrobial plastics market, in terms of value, in 2022
The antimicrobial plastics market in Asia Pacific is led by the medical & healthcare and automotive segment mainly due to the rising awareness about the use of antimicrobial plastics in vehicles and medical devices to decrease the prevalence of infections. Mobility requirements for people and commodities have expanded in Asian nations due to rapid urbanization, economic success, and a growing population. Despite increased passenger travel anticipated, few people own cars. Because of this imbalance, automotive service providers now have a huge advantage in the Asia Pacific market, which is predominantly dominated by a young population. This demand for new and advanced vehicles is expected to drive the market for antimicrobial plastics in Asia Pacific region.
MarketsandMarkets™ has been recently recognized as one of America’s best management consulting firms by Forbes, as per their recent report.
Founded in 2009, MarketsandMarkets recognized uncharted business potentials within disruptive trends, forecasting a surge of $25 trillion in new B2B revenues by 2030. In our 13-year journey, we’ve collaborated with over 10,000 companies, generating $140+ billion in revenue impact. From a market research publisher, we’ve transformed into a growth-enabling leader, backed by a 1500+ strong team.